Chakra meditation techniques are form of meditation which makes use of chakras. These techniques borrow many concepts of yoga like kundalini. There are seven chakras in the kundalini system. Kundalini is the energy field that travels through the path consisting of seven chakras in the body system. Third eye which is thought to be located at the center of our forehead is sixth chakra of the seven chakras and is therefore second last path of kundalini.
Third eye unlike real eyes is virtual eye. Scientifically it is thought to be connected to the pineal gland in the middle of brain. It is also called as ‘Agya’ chakra. Through third eye meditation, you tend to stimulate and feel virtual presence of third eye. This type of meditation is also called ‘Trataka’. It is the technique which allows one to move on more spiritual plane.
Third eye meditation is guided meditation and requires learning. This technique teaches us to open our third eye by moving into the meditative state. A brief description of technique is given below.
- Sit with your legs crossed and spine straight.
- Close your eyes.
- Breathe in and out slowly for 2-3 times.
- Try to concentrate on to the forehead area by looking upwards with eyes closed and then try to look at the center of the forehead.
- Bring all your attention to the center of forehead and then try to relax your eyes. After concentrating for some time, your thoughts become still. You are able to see inner you.
- You experience spiritual and virtual presence of third eye which appears to be open and is watching inner side of yourself. This is the point where you have entered the meditative state. It enables you to focus on positive things that make you feel good.
- Continue observing for 15-20 minutes.
- Then slowly with your eyes closed stop looking at the third eye. After few minutes of waiting open both eyes completing your meditation.
There is some caution one needs to know when learning trataka technique. While you are practicing third eye meditation, you might feel heat at the third eye location. This is believed to happen because of energy field travelling through chakras. This heat, though not harmful may make you feel uncomfortable to meditate. It can also cause some itching at forehead. It is advised to stop meditation in such a case.
Of all the meditation techniques, this is one that is difficult to practice. We must concentrate only on silencing the thought process and enjoy spiritually. This will allow us to see the world beyond through our third eye.