Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Some Fun Car Facts

Mankind has always had a fascination with cars. From the Ford Model-T to today’s high-end luxury automobiles, we just can’t get enough. There’s something about putting your foot on the gas and driving around with ease that has no other equal. For most of us driving today, we may not remember the history of the automobile or recall how they have evolved over the years – we just love driving them. Aside from this, there are some terrific historical facts and notable achievements throughout the years that you may find interesting.

Here are some "fun facts" about cars we found while trolling through the Internet.

From Automopedia.com:
The first speeding ticket was issued in 1902.

More than 90 percent of us "admit" to singing while behind the wheel (the other 10 percent are liars).

For you New Jersey residents: Garden State Parkway tollbooths were supposed to go away once initial construction was paid in full -- which occurred in the late 1950s (yet the tollbooths remain....).

Policemen in New York City in 1898 chased speeding motorists with bicycles.

From  CootersAutoManuals.com:
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the first racetrack in the U.S. for autos -- it was made up of three million cobblestones.

Model T Fords made up 55 percent of the cars in the world in 1916. No other brand or type of car has ever had a larger percentage ever since.

Ford automobiles originally had Dodge engines.

One out of seven of all new cars and trucks are purchased in Southern California.

Hong Kong has more Rolls Royces per capita than any other city in the world.

A woman (Mary Anderson) invented the windshield wiper in 1905.

Elizabeth Dole suggested putting a rear brake light in a car's rear window.

From Stumblerz.com:
More than 600 million passenger cars existed in the world in 2006.

Ferrari makes just 14 cars in a day.

From ChevronCars.com:
When driving your car, take hold of the steering lever... Well, that's what you'd be doing today if the steering wheel hadn't taken over the first way drivers steered cars -- by lever.

The car radio was invented in 1929; Buick introduced turning signals in 1938.

When you sound your horn, it's more than likely beeping in the key of F.

More than 170 (173) auto inventions by women were reported in 1923. Some of the women-designed inventions? The electric engine starter and a carburetor.

Quiz: What's the world's most recycled consumer product today? The automobile.

Citations:
About the Author: Dan Bodrero is the Owner of Seat Covers Unlimited. No matter what type of vehicle you drive, Seat Covers Unlimited can manufacture a custom seat cover to protect your car’s interior.