Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Howard B. Wigglebottom And The Monkey On His Back by Howard Binkow

Howard B. Wigglebottom and the Monkey on His Back:  A Tale About Telling the Truth is a Children's Picture Book.

Howard begins his day at school with show and tell and when his pet mouse escapes into the classroom, Howard lies to his teacher and makes a bad choice.

Throughout the story Howard makes the wrong choice and lies to his friends and family.  When Howard lies to his father about finding money in the "money chair", a monkey grows on Howards back.

As Howard's guilt and the monkey continue to grow, Howard must decide if he should make the right choice and apologize for all his wrongdoings.


I thought this book has a wonderful message and it is told in a charming and delightful way that any child can understand.  I loved how at the end of each lie you were made to realize that Howard made the wrong choice and then reinforced it when he makes the correct choice.

I loved the moral teaching the book's lesson has to share.  I loved how the conflict was resolved and shared and thought that Howard's father steered him in the proper direction.

I loved the illustrations by Susan F. Cornelison.  They are depicted in a pastel like effect that is delightful to the eyes.  The edges are soft and the characters are each depicted with their own characteristics.  I really loved Spidey Bunny, he was really cute and my children were delighted to see him included in the story.  

As my kids read the pages, first I read it then my son read it, we discussed lying and the rights and wrongs and how it can hurt.  I loved the discussion and thought-provoking aspects in brought out in us.

I would give Howard B. Wigglebottom and The Monkey On His Back a five out of five stars.  I would recommend this for any home and libraries should definitely keep them on their shelves, the messages and the characters are endearing and child friendly.

 
** Disclosure: I did not accept any compensation from the sponsors other than review copies, my views are my own, reviewed by me..as I see it~!! **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo