Monday, November 21, 2011

Top 3 Retro Game Shows

There is strong evidence to suggest that I developed elderly entertainment habits at a young age. I've always found pure joy in shuffleboard and bingo, and I suspect I might genuinely get into bird-watching if I gave it a go. There's also my deep desire to hang out on my porch, read a book and yell at the neighborhood hooligans. Not to mention, if I knew how to work DVR (cough*more evidence*cough), I'd likely be recording episodes of Antiques Roadshow. It gets me every time.

But rather than delving into the joys of televised antiquing, let's chat about another old-timer passion of mine: retro game shows. While there are plenty to choose from, I've narrowed it down to my top 3 favorite retro game shows:

The Price is Right
Seriously, who hasn't dreamed of making an appearance on this show? I have to admit that my zeal faded a bit when Bob Barker left the air, but it still holds a special place in my heart. Every summer morning from elementary school through high school, my 9am hour was dedicated to the excitement of Plinko, Cliff Hangers and Line 'em Up. I may not have garnered any legitimate pricing knowledge from all those viewing hours, but the theme music still blares in my head whenever a friend announces that they bought "A BRAND NEW CAR!" I'd call that a lasting impression.

Wheel of Fortune
I'm not sure what I love most about this one -- watching the actual show or playing the old-school computer-game version. Whether I'm mentally solving the word puzzles or analyzing the magic of the letter board (seriously, were these early version of touch screens?), this show sucks me in. From the angst of buying vowels to the despairs of spinning bankruptcy, there is never a dull moment with this addictive word game. (Well, except for the occasional contestant who delays solving when the answer is clear as day. Though, I suppose even that is entertaining in its own this-guy-is-a-moron kind of way.)

Family Feud
I can't say it in big enough letters -- I LOVE FAMILY FEUD. Besides being proud of the fact that I can actually spell feud correctly (really, what language rule is that? E before U?), this show fills me with all kinds of joy. From the overzealous families to the intrigue of the answers, I enjoy every minute of watching this entertainment go down. I won't lie, my favorite parts of the show are when contestants give idiotic answers and their entire family pauses, visibly bites their tongues, and offer a half-hearted "Good answer..." while unenthusastically clapping. Let's be honest, all the thinly veiled eye-rolling is undeniably entertaining.

So there you have it -- my top 3 favorite retro game shows. What are yours?

Katie Hawkes is a freelance blogger for JacksonWhite Attorneys at Law. JacksonWhite's Phoenix AZ bankruptcy attorneys help individuals in Arizona file for bankruptcy under the bankruptcy code.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo