Art is timeless, beautiful and something to be cherished. Europe has long been known for its incredible art, both in the buildings and found in museums. Rich with history, the artwork of Europe is more than just incredible paintings and sculptures; it’s a connection to the past. Here are the top European destinations for art lovers.
There’s more to Paris than the Louvre. While this historic museum is home to the Mona Lisa and is a must-visit stop if you are in the city, it should not be the only stop on your art tour. The National Museum of Modern Art at Le Centre Pompidou features works by Picasso and Magritte. Here are a few of the other artistic spots worth visiting when you are in the City of Lights.
- Musee National Picasso – Housing the largest collection of works by Pablo Picasso in the world, this museum gives a glimpse into the artist’s life and the artwork that inspired him.
- Cathedrale de Notre-dame Charters – Artwork isn’t limited to canvas and marble. This world-famous cathedral features incredible artwork in its stained glass windows.
- Chateau de Versailles – Home to the Sun King, Louis XIV, this palace allows you to see the opulent and artistic world that once was the regular home of royalty.
Known for its role in the Renaissance, Florence is still considered one of the most beautiful cities throughout the world. Michelangelo’s David can be viewed in the Galleria dell’ Accademia (Academy Gallery) and the Galleria degli Uffizi (Uffizi Galleries) features art by Giotto, Raphael and Botticelli.
Vatican City, Italy:
Home to the Vatican Museums, Vatican City features more than 3,000 years of art. From the Sistine Chapel to sections of the Papal Palace, there is an incredible amount of artwork here that will take your breath away. Here are a few of the items you can rejoice in when you add this city to your travel agenda.
-Sistine Chapel – The ceiling frescoes painted by Michelangelo are a must-see for any art lover. Artwork by Perugino and Botticelli is also featured in this chapel.
- The Matissse Room – Found in the Vatican Museums, it is home to The Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, the only religious work conceived by the French artist.
- Witness restorations of great art, such as the Bernini Angels.
- The Room of the Immaculate features frescoes painted by Francesco Podesti.
- The Egyptian Museum contains art dating back to the ancient Greeks.
The Russian royal family collected one of the largest and finest art collections in the world. There are more than three million items house in the State Hermitage Museum, inkling pre-historic art and post-modern pieces. The art spans much of the European and Asian continents. Visitors can also tour the Winter Palace and Main Museum Complex.
Every city features amazing artwork that connects us to the history of the world and to each other. The artwork will awe, intrigue and inspire. It will take your breath away and give you pause for thought. Scheduling a trip to see these top art destinations in Europe will simply leave you amazed and with memories you will treasure for a lifetime.