Monday, November 7, 2011

Soldier Of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt by James Mace

Soldier Of Rome:  The Sacrovir Revolt is the second book in the Artorian Chronicles. 

The story continues with Vitruvius, as he pursues his training and bonding with his men.  When there are hints of an uprising in Gaul, Vitruvius and his men are sent there to end the skirmish.

Along the way the men share their thoughts and impressions about the upcoming event in Gaul.  When they arrive they soon learn that Sacrovir is at the heart of this revolt and he wishes to help Vitruivius and his men to succeed.  Sacrovir, however, has never fully recovered from the humiliation and financial loss when Vitruvius killed one his prize gladiotors back in Rome.

When the men begin to realize that those who they have trusted aren't what or who they appear to be, Vitruvius and his men are put to the test and  only those with the skills will survive.

I thought this was a great sequel to the first book, Soldier of Rome:  The Legionary (Read my review of it here.)  I found this book was more about character building, the politics and life surrounding a Legionnaire and while I enjoyed reading more about Vitruvius' inner machinations, I would've loved to have seen more battles.

I found that the book could have used more descriptive battles, I love to read a good battle and there are certain subjects where I expect to see them and this book was such.  Don't get me wrong, the battles that did take place were great but I just wanted to see more. 

I truly loved that this is based on historical events.  I loved the history that the author conveyed to the reader and how it was like to live the life of a Legionnaire.  I thought the author had done his research well and everything co-existed nicely with the other, in that, Vitruvius was believable in the setting and the reader would be hard pressed to tell if he actually participated in the real history events.

I would give Soldier Of Rome:  The Sacrovir Revolt a four out of five stars.  The editorial issues are minimal, the expletives are mild to moderate as are the battle scenes.  I found it to be a great read, with much depth of character, I just wished there had been more battles.

SYNOPSIS:
It has been three years since the wars against Arminius and the Cherusci. Gaius Silius, Legate of the Twentieth Legion, is concerned that the barbarians-though shattered by the war-may be stirring once again. He also seeks to confirm the rumors regarding Arminius' death. What Silius does not realize is that there is a new threat to the Empire, but it does not come from beyond the frontier; it is coming from within, where a disenchanted nobleman looks to sow the seeds of rebellion in Gaul.

Legionary Artorius has greatly matured during his five years in the legions. He has become stronger in mind; his body growing even more powerful. Like the rest of the Legion, he is unaware of the shadow growing well within the Empire's borders, where a disaffected nobleman seeks to betray the Emperor Tiberius. A shadow looms; one that looks to envelope the province of Gaul as well as the Rhine legions. The year is A.D. 20.

 
** Disclosure: I did not accept any compensation from the sponsors other than review copies, my views are my own, reviewed by me..as I see it~!! **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo