Monday, June 11, 2012

BOOK REVEIW: A Soul Less Broken by Helen Laibach

A Soul Less Broken

Author:  Helen Laibach
Paperback:  178 pages
Publisher:  Wheatmark (September 15, 2010)
Language:  English

After being brutally attacked, Catherine Wilcox must discover her own inner strength and courage as she struggles to piece her life back together.

She finds herself falling in love with the emergency room physician who treats her, but soon realizes the attack has left her so emotionally scarred that she must turn away the only man who truly loves her.  And at a time when she feels her life if finally beginning to heal, Catherine must face the devastation of learning that her dearest friend has terminal cancer.

In A Soul Less Broken we follow Catherine as she discovers the depth of true friendship, the healing power of love, and the stamina of the human spirit.

Catherine Wilcox is an up and coming new law student with dreams of making her mark when she is brutally attacked and raped one night after leaving the library.  After being left for dead, she wakes up in the Emergency room where Alan Petersen is her attending physician.  Alan believes that Catherine is his soul mate and is determined to do all he can to help her through this horrible ordeal.

I liked the characters though I am not sure if I would appreciate the good doctors attention after being viciously attacked.  I am thinking my radars would be screaming and I would demand a female doctor.  I liked Alan's character, don't get me wrong, he was sweet and attentive, I am just thinking with the plot's premise, he came on just a little too strong.

I would have appreciated seeing more of the love growing between the two main characters and leave out the aspect of the cancer, I found that there were too many emotional issues to deal with and it kind of detracted away from the story, instead of enhancing it.  There was enough power and depth in first antagonistic event that cancer could've been better left for another time and another book.  I would've liked to have seen more emphasis given to the attack and how she grows as a victim into a survivor.

I would give A Soul Less Broken a three out of five stars.  And yes, even though I complained about the cancer being added to the book, there are a few pages near the book's end that will leave your tearing up.  There is some emotional depth in the author's writing style, but I feel more focus would've been given the characters more breadth and allowed me to attach myself to them in a better capacity.








A Soul Less Broken



post signature  **  Reviewed by me...as I see it~!!  **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us some love...and have yourself a groovy day~!! Peaces...xoxo